WATER COMMITTEE MEETING
Thursday, August 18, 2011 6:00 p.m.
Chamber Room – Countryside City Hall
1. Call to Order and Roll Call.
Chairman John Von Drasek
2. Approval of March 9, 2011 meeting minutes.
3. Discussion of options concerning billing the South Lyons Sanitary District (SLSD) for water used in connection with the operation of hydrojet sewer line maintenance.
4. Discussion of options concerning uncollected water costs for a sprinkling system at 6414-6510 Joliet Road. Jim Waner, owner.
5. Discussion on increasing service tap fees.
6. Other Business.
MINUTES OF THE WATER COMMITTEE MEETING
CITY OF COUNTRYSIDE – CITY HALL
Thursday, August 18, 2011 – 6:00 P.M.
CALL TO ORDER AND ROLL CALL
1. Meeting was called to order at 6:00 P.M. Those present: Chair Von Drasek; Committee members: Michalczyk, Jasinski. Also present: Mayor Krzeminski, Clerk Sweeney, DPW Essig, Water Plant Operator Hartigan, Finance Director Drazner.
APPROVAL OF MINUTES
2. The minutes of the March 9, 2011 Water Committee meeting were approved as submitted.
OPTIONS BILLING THE SLSD FOR WATER RE: HYDROJET SEWER LINE MAINTENANCE.
3. Water Operator Hartigan stated that when they met with SLSD, they were told that the water would be metered and billed accordingly. Then SLSD refused to pay the last bill. They challenged the charges saying that there was a reciprocal agreement to forgive each others’ water/sewer use. No record could be produced that the City agreed to this. SLSD has used over a million gallons of water and this usage would never be offset by all the city-owned buildings using the sewer system. .The Committee discussed what options could be taken concerning the last bill directly related to the hydro jetting of the sewer line. It was the Committee’s consensus to waive the $3,170 current bill but give notice that any future water bills will be required to be paid. The Committee also agreed that in the future the City will pay for any sewer bills that are due on public buildings.
OPTIONS RE WATER COSTS FOR A SPRINKLING SYSTEM AT 6414-6510 JOLIET RD. JIM WANER, OWNER.
4. It was revealed to the current owner that the meter was never hooked up to a transmitter to read the water usage for a sprinkling system. Once the figures were accounted for, it resulted in a water bill totaling $5,047. The Committee’s consensus was to have the Finance Director send the property owner a letter notifying him of the amount due and allow him to pay over a 12 month period. This is the City’s cost, or wholesale rate, not the reseller rate.
DISCUSSION ON INCREASING SERVICE TAP FEES
5. The Committee was presented with a worksheet showing the fees that other surrounding towns charge. After discussion, it was the consensus to recommend the changes as follows effective 1-1-12:
For 1 tap – $600; for 1-1/2 tap – $800; for a 2 tap – $800; for a 3 tap – $1200; and for a 4 tap – $1500. Other larger services 6 and over would be negotiated.
6. The Committee asked that at a future meeting would our city engineer update the Committee regarding the water main at Joliet and La Grange Road.
7. Meeting adjourned at 6:45 pm
Date: John VonDrasek, Chair