CITY OF COUNTRYSIDE
REGULAR CITY COUNCIL MEETING
WEDNESDAY, JANUARY 27, 2010 – 7:30 P.M.
I.CALL TO ORDER – PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE
II.ROLL CALL – CITY CLERK
III.OMNIBUS AGENDA: All items on the Omnibus Agenda are considered to be routine in nature by the City Council and will be enacted in one motion. There will not be separate discussion of these items unless a Council member so requests, in which event the item will be removed from the Omnibus Agenda and considered separately.
A. APPROVAL OF MINUTES: January 13, 2010.
B. STATEMENT OF BILLS through January 13, 2010: $445,353.06.
C. Application for a general business license from Signs by Slack, 5503 La Grange Road. Type: Service Merchant. Applicant: Nancy Slack.
D. Application for a general registration from Slack Realty Group, 5503 La Grange Road. Type: Real Estate Office. Applicant: Joseph Slack.
E. Application for a general business license from Locinox USA, Inc., 6475 #D. Type: Distributor.Applicant: Robert Cooke.
F. Application for a general registration from E.A. Meindl Insurance Agency, Inc., 6432 Joliet Road, #A. type: Insurance Agency. Applicant: Joseph Harris.
G. TREASURER’S REPORT for the month ending November, 2009. (previously distributed in the Finance Agenda packet)
H. TREASURER’S REPORT for the month ending December, 2009. (previously distributed in the Finance Agenda packet)
IV. ADDITIONS TO AND/OR DELETIONS FROM THE AGENDA
V. QUESTIONS AND/OR COMMENTS FROM THE AUDIENCE
A. FYI: WCMC’s Invitation to the Annual Springfield Legislative Drive Down & Reception March 24, 2010.
VII. CITY CLERK’S REPORT
VIII. TREASURER’S REPORT
FINANCE COMMITTEE – TREASURER JASINSKI, CHAIRMAN
(RECOMMENDATIONS FROM THE COMMITTEE MEETING OF 1-26-10)
X. CITY ATTORNEY/LEGAL REPORT
A. Plan/ZBA Recommendation for a Special Use for a lab in a B-1 zoning district at 7061 Willow Springs Road. Applicant: N. Malone.
B. Draft ordinance amending certain sections of the International Property maintenance Code 2006 related to overcrowding.
C. Draft ordinance amending Sec. 8-3-1 to include all residential areas.
XI. ADMINISTRATOR’S REPORT
A. Engineer’s change order #1 for the CDBG Project #08-012 re: 74th St. Rehabilitation for $10,805.
XII. STAFF REPORTS
A. Police Chief
B. City Engineer
C. Asst. Administrator
XIII. OLD & NEW BUSINESS
Your Honor, I move that we adjourn into
Executive session under Sec. Open Meeting
MINUTES OF A REGULAR MEETING
CITY COUNCIL OF THE CITY OF COUNTRYSIDE, ILLINOIS
HELD IN THE COUNCIL CHAMBERS ON WEDNESDAY, JANUARY 27, 2010
1. After the Pledge of Allegiance to the Flag, Mayor Conrad called the meeting to order at 7:30 p.m. City Clerk Sweeney called the Roll of those physically present:
PRESENT: Mayor Robert Conrad, Aldermen Wayne Straza, John Von Drasek, Karen Michalczyk, Robert Pondelicek, Sean McDermott
ABSENT: Michael Smetana,
ALSO PRESENT: City Clerk Sweeney, City Treasurer Jasinski, City Attorney Erik Peck, City Admin. Bailey, Interim Police Chief Novak, City Eng. Fitzgerald, Asst. Admin. Peterson, Finance Director Paul, ESDA Coordinator Norman, Police/Fire Bd. Member Burdett
2. APPROVAL OF MINUTES: January 13, 2010.
3. STATEMENT OF BILLS through January 27, 2010: $445,353.06.
4. Application for a general business license from SIGNS BY SLACK, 5503 LaGrange Road. Type: Service Merchant. Applicant: Nancy Slack.
5. Application for a general registration from SLACK REALTY GROUP, 5503 LaGrange Road. Type: Real estate office. Applicant: Joseph Slack.
6. Application for a general business license from LOCINOX USA, Inc., 6475 Joliet Road, #D. Type: Distributor. Applicant: Robert Cooke.
7. Application for a general registration from E.A. MEINDL INSURANCE AGENCY, Inc., 6432 Joliet Road #A. Type: Insurance agency. Applicant: Joseph Harris.
8. TREASURER’S REPORT for the month ending November 2009.
9. TREASURER’S REPORT for the month ending December 2009.
10. Ald. Straza moved to approve the Omnibus Agenda as presented, seconded by Ald. Pondelicek and carried unanimously.
ADDITIONS TO AND/OR DELETIONS FROM THE AGENDA
11. One addition to the Agenda was noted by Mayor Conrad and Treasurer Jasinski.
QUESTIONS AND/OR COMMENTS FROM THE AUDIENCE none
12. FYI: Mayor Conrad announced the WCMC’s invitation to the Annual Springfield Legislative Drive Down and Reception on March 24, 2010 – open to elected officials. Please advise the Clerk’s office if you plan on attending. Ald. Straza will attend.
13. FYI: Mayor Conrad announced that due to the passing of Sherill Lynch, after meeting for many years in the upstairs meeting room, the Salt Creek Camera Club will move its meeting to Plymouth Place beginning Wednesday, February 3, 2010.
14. Mayor Conrad stated that with the primary elections approaching on Tuesday, February 2, Countryside has become a hotbed for political activity. There was a debate forum at the William Tell a couple of weeks ago. A few Sundays ago there were four out of the seven candidates for County seat here – two Democrats and two Republicans sponsored by the League of Women Voters. Saturday the Chantilly hosted an event for statewide and countywide candidates – including Treas. Giannoulias and other candidates for national seats. Ald. Straza noted that Countryside is also being mentioned prominently in TV commercials on WGN thanks to Ettelson Cadillac and Hyundai. Ald. Pondelicek stated that Ald. Mike Smetana is undergoing surgery tomorrow and we all wish him well.
15. Treasurer Jasinski is seeking a motion to accept the November and December 2009 financial statements. Ald. Michalczyk moved to accept the November and December 2009 financial statements as presented, seconded by Ald. Von Drasek and carried unanimously.
16. City Attorney Peck presented the Plan/ZBA recommendation for a Special Use for a lab in a B-1 zoning district at 7061 Willow Springs Road. Mr. Malone requested rezoning of the subject property from B-1 to B-2, but at the hearing held on January 5, 2010, it was determined that this was not really a laboratory but an analytical facility, and as such it would not require rezoning of the property. The PC/ZBA found that the Applicant met all the requirements for a special use for an analytical facility on the subject property at 7061 Willow Springs Road. It was recommended that he be granted the special use subject to the following conditions: 1) that construction of the new building, as set forth in Exhibit A, commence within one year of the enactment of the Ordinance; 2) that the Phase Two of construction must begin within six months after completion of Phase One; and 3) that the facility be subject to all the City building code requirements and that use be established within six months. Ald. Von Drasek suggested that the City consider approving an agreement in lieu of sales tax as well. Ald. Von Drasek moved to concur with the PC/ZBA recommendation and to add the in lieu of sales tax agreement, seconded by Ald. Pondelicek and carried by Roll Call vote – 5/0/1. Mr. Peck stated that the Building Department has established a retail sales tax formula based on the square footage of the building to calculate the amount.
Clerk Sweeney declared that this will be known as ORDINANCE 10-01-O.
17. Attorney Peck presented a draft ordinance amending certain sections of the International Property Maintenance Code 2006 related to overcrowding. This is a recommendation from the Building Department regarding overcrowding in apartments and condominiums setting forth specific requirements for living rooms, dining rooms and bedrooms dependent on square footage according to the chart provided.
These requirements apply to all residential dwellings including single family homes. Enforcement would be on a complaint basis assisted by the police department. Suggestion made to notify residents of these new requirements via the Newsletter and the City Website. Ald. Michalczyk moved to adopt the Ordinance as presented, seconded by Ald. Von Drasek and carried by Roll Call vote – 5/0/1.
Clerk Sweeney declared that this will be known as ORDINANCE 10-02-O.
18. Attorney Peck presented a draft ordinance amending Section 8-3-1 of the Fence Ordinance to include all residential areas. Fences must be 80% permeable for both light and air in all residential zoning districts from R-1 through R-7. Ald. Michalczyk moved to adopt the ordinance as presented, seconded by Ald. Von Drasek and carried by Roll Call vote – 5/0/1.
Clerk Sweeney declared that this will be known as ORDINANCE 10-03-O.
19. City Administrator Bailey presented the engineer’s change order #1 for the CDBG Project #08-012 re: 74th St. Rehabilitation in the amount of $10,805 – to replace the aggregate sub base which was insufficient to support the project and required more fill to be supplied. Eng. Fitzgerald stated that this was unforeseen and he will build a safety cushion into future jobs. Mr. Fitzgerald stated this was a good deal but more quantity was needed. Ald. McDermott moved to approve the change order for $10,805, seconded by Ald. Straza and carried unanimously.
20. Eng. Fitzgerald stated that the Triangle Flood Plain meeting date was changed from Wednesday, February 17 to Thursday, February 18, 2010. The City will host that event – it will be an Open House Forum from 9-12 noon. Cong. Lipinski’s Chief of Staff will attend the meeting. Residents have not been notified yet. Mr. Fitzgerald stated that the MWRD is still processing paperwork.
21. Mayor Conrad stated that the entire City Council’s best wishes go with Ald. Mike Smetana as he undergoes surgery tomorrow morning. We wish him great success.
There being no further business to discuss, Ald. Straza moved to adjourn into Executive Session under Section 2B1 of the Open Meetings Act for the purpose of discussing personnel matters, seconded by Ald. Michalczyk and carried by unanimous Roll Call vote – 5/0/1.
Mayor Conrad declared the meeting adjourned at 7:55 p.m.
SHARON SWEENEY, CITY CLERK