CITY OF COUNTRYSIDE
REGULAR CITY COUNCIL MEETING
WEDNESDAY JUNE 8, 2005 – 7:30 P.M.
I. MEETING CALL TO ORDER – PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE
II. ROLL CALL – CITY CLERK
III. OMNIBUS AGENDA:
All items on the Omnibus Agenda are considered to be routine in nature by the City Council and will be enacted in one motion. There will not be separate discussion of these items unless a Council member so requests, in which event the item will be removed from the Omnibus Agenda and considered separately.
A. APPROVAL OF MINUTES: May 25, 2005.
B. STATEMENT OF BILLS: period ending June 8, 2005
C. MEMBERSHIP: IL CITY/COUNTY MANAGEMENT ASSN – Administrator – $239.25.
IV. ADDITIONS TO AND/OR DELETIONS FROM THE AGENDA
V. QUESTIONS AND/OR COMMENTS FROM THE AUDIENCE
VI. MAYOR’S REPORT
A. Swearing In: Joseph Curtin Jr. – 9708 W. 56th St., Police & Fire Board.
VII. CITY CLERK’S REPORT
VIII. TREASURER’S REPOT
IX. COMMITTEE REPORTS
FINANCE COMMITTEE – TREASURER STOFFELS, CHAIRMAN
A. Countryside Rotary Club Golf Outing, June 24 @ Flagg Creek, $50 pp.
E.S.D.A. LAISON – ALDERMAN SMETANA, CHAIRMAN
B. Recommendation to replace a 1994 Ford, #3421, and authorize Administrator to sign for the acquisition of a replacement.
X. CITY ATTORNEY/LEGAL REPORT
XI. ADMINISTRATOR’S REPORT
A. Engineer’s pay estimate #1 – 2005 Street Rehabilitation – Brothers Asphalt Paving, Inc. – $127,649.70.
B. Engineer’s pay estimate #4 – I-55 Noise Wall – Lorig Construction Co., – $41,705.95.
XII. STAFF REPORTS
A. Police Chief
B. City Engineer
XIII. OLD & NEW BUSINESS
MINUTES OF A REGULAR MEETING
CITY COUNCIL OF THE CITY OF COUNTRYSIDE, ILLINOIS
HELD IN THE COUNCIL CHAMBERS ON WEDNESDAY, JUNE 8, 2005
1. After the Pledge of Allegiance to the Flag, Mayor LeGant called the meeting to order at 7:30 p.m. City Clerk Herberts called the Roll, which was as follows:
PRESENT: Mayor Carl LeGant, Aldermen Robert Conrad, Wayne Straza, Karen Michalczyk, John Von Drasek, Michael Smetana, Robert Pondelicek
ALSO PRESENT: City Clerk Herberts, City Treasurer Stoffels, City Attorney Robert Peck, Police Chief Swanson, City Administrator Bailey, City Engineer Fitzgerald, ESDA Director Norman, Police/Fire Bd. Member Welch
1. Approval of Minutes – May 25, 2005.
2. Statement of Bills for period ending June 8, 2005.
3. Membership: IL City/County Management Assn. – Administrator – $239.25.
4. Ald. Smetana moved to approve the Omnibus Agenda as presented, seconded by Ald. Conrad and carried unanimously.
ADDITIONS TO AND/OR DELETIONS FROM THE AGENDA
5. Additions to the Agenda were noted by Ald. Smetana and Ald. Conrad.
QUESTIONS AND/OR COMMENTS FROM THE AUDIENCE – none
6. Mayor LeGant administered the Oath of Office to Joseph L. Curtin, Jr. 9708 W. 56th St. as a Commissioner on the Police & Fire Board for the City of Countryside. Council members welcomed Mr. Curtin.
7. FINANCE COMMITTEE – TREASURER STOFFELS, CHAIRMAN, presented the request of the Countryside Rotary Club 10th Annual Golf Outing held on June 24, 2005, to sponsor the purchase of four tickets at $50 each on a first-come first-served basis. Ald. Michalczyk moved to approve the request, seconded by Ald. Smetana and carried unanimously.
8. POLICE COMMITTEE – ALDERMAN CONRAD, CHAIRMAN, congratulated the Police Chief and ESDA Coordinator Steve Norman for the excellent job they did in preparing the City a Storm-Ready Community, as proclaimed by The National Weather Service. We thank the gentlemen for their efforts.
9. E.S.D.A. LIAISON – ALDERMAN SMETANA, CHAIRMAN, presented the recommendation to replace a 1994 Ford with a newer vehicle, a 2002 Ford Explorer from Dan Wolf in the amount of $16,000. Ald. Smetana moved to approve the purchase, seconded by Ald. Conrad and carried unanimously.
10. City Administrator Bailey presented engineer’s estimate #1 for the 2005 Street Rehabilitation Project in the amount of $127,649.70 to Brothers Asphalt Paving, Inc. Ald. Smetana moved to approve, seconded by Ald. Conrad and carried unanimously.
11. Mr. Bailey presented engineer’s pay estimate #4 for the I-55 Noise Wall in the amount of $41,705.95 to Lorig Construction Co. Ald. Pondelicek stated that the requested landscaping has not been done. They recommended plants and mulch; instead bushes and flowers have been planted. There is a small segment, about 50 yards, that is entirely bare and looks terrible. Engineer Fitzgerald stated that the plantings are complete but the mulch will be done this week and they will weed. There are some drainage issues with the property owners in the area from Willow Springs Road to the guardrail. They will put topsoil and seed the rest of the area. Vines were planted against the wall. Ald. Smetana noted that the project did stay on budget at $22,000 for plantings. Ald. Von Drasek stated that it looks unfinished; Council agreed that plantings should continue on to the end. Also the car stops are loose. Mr. Fitzgerald stated that the city is holding $14,000 in retainer. Ald. Conrad suggested doing the additional work and bringing a change order for Council’s approval. Mr. Fitzgerald will comply. Ald. Von Drasek moved to approve the payment, seconded by Ald. Pondelicek and carried unanimously.
12. Police Chief Swanson stated that the City will receive an award from the National Weather Service on July 13 in recognition of completing the Storm Ready Program.
13. Ald. Smetana stated that regarding the Dostal property dilemma and their efforts to have an addition built – some time ago the ZBA denied the request for variance to build a family room on their non-conforming use duplex. After further consideration of the matter, and the fact that the building was allowed to be built, there appears to be a contradictory ordinance governing their ability to build an addition. He believes that the original ordinance’s intent should have been the prohibition of building any additional living units in a non-conforming use building. Ald. Smetana moved to deny the recommendation of the PC/ZBA and to allow the applicants to proceed with their family room addition, seconded by Ald. Straza and carried unanimously by Roll Call vote.
14. Treasurer Stoffels stated that Council members received the proposal from Mr. Bailey regarding the Deputy Treasurer’s Replacement. The Finance Committee seeks City approval to allow Mr. Bailey to proceed with the recommendations therein including a title change to Director of Budget and Finance. Ald. Michalczyk moved to approve, seconded by Ald. Conrad and carried unanimously.
15. Ald. Straza discussed the Resolution by the Village of Indian Head Park re: the parks referendum. He suggested that the Mayor appoint a member who represents the City of Countryside to keep track of happenings and report on the $10 million bond issue. The bonds should be utilized for all citizens of Lyons Township to assist with maintenance of our parks as well.
There being no further business to discuss, Ald. Smetana moved to adjourn, seconded by Ald. Conrad and carried unanimously.
Mayor LeGant declared the meeting adjourned at 7:51 p.m.
SHIRLEY C. HERBERTS, CITY CLERK