POLICE COMMITTEE MEETING
Monday, March 21, 2011 – 6:00 p.m.
1. Call to Order & Roll Call.
Committee Members: Chairman Smetana, Ald. Pondelicek, McDermott & Others Present.
2. Approval of the Minutes: December 1, 2010
3. Discussion of the Countryside Police Department 2010 Annual Report.
4. Report on Staff Study.
5. Consideration of filling the open position of Police Officer, created by a promotion to Sergeant.
6. Request the Purchase of an Evidence Technician Vehicle, fully marked.
7. Request the Purchase of 3 Automated External Defibrillators.
8. Other Business.
9. Adjournment to Executive Session to discuss personnel issues.
CITY OF COUNTRYSIDE
MINUTES OF THE POLICE COMMITTEE MEETING
MONDAY, MARCH 21,2011 – 6:00 PM
CALL TO ORDER & ROLL CALL:
1. Meeting was called to order at 6:00 p.m. Those present were: Mayor Conrad, Chairman
Smetana, McDermott, Pondelicek. Also present: City Administrator Paul, Police Chief Ruth, DC Novak.
APPROVAL OF MINUTES:
2. The minutes of December 1, 2010 were approved as submitted.
DISCUSSION OF THE COUNTRYSIDE POLICE DEPARTMENT 2010 ANNUAL REPORT.
3. Chief Ruth presented the highlights of each section. He was given positive feedback from the
Committee on the detail that was outlined in the report. The Committee was impressed with the
actual work being presented. The Chief commented that he is devoted to open communication
in the department.
REPORT ON STAFF STUDY
4. Chief Ruth stated that after reviewing the data he recommended that the current staffing is
adequate for sworn police officers.
CONSIDERATION OF FILLING THE OPEN POSITION OF POLICE OFFICER
5. Chief Ruth stated that with the promotion to fill the Sergeant position, an opening was created
for a police officer. The Committee recommended filling the open position and will direct the
Police & Fire Board to hire one police officer from the current eligibility list. This recommendation
will be on the Council agenda for action.
REQUEST THE PURCHASE OF AN EVIDENCE TECHNICIAN VEHICLE, FULLY MARKED.
6. The Committee concurred with Chief Ruth to purchase an evidence technician vehicle that is
fully marked for a cost of $49,206.42 from Westfield Ford. Funds being used from the Drug Asset
REQUEST THE PURCHASE OF 3 AUTOMATED EXTERNAL DEFIBRILLATORS.
7. Chief Ruth stated that the intended defibrillators would be distributed in two of the squad card
and the third to go to the Senior Center. Each unit is $1,300. The Committee concurred and
directed the expense be debited from the Drug Asset Forfeiture Fund account.
ADJOURN TO EXECUTIVE SESSION TO DISCUSS PERSONNEL ISSUES.
8. There being no further business to discuss, the meeting adjourned to executive session at 6:50 p.m.
Dated: Wayne Straza, Chairman