WATER COMMITTEE MEETING
Wednesday, March 9, 2011 6:30 p.m.
Chamber Room – Countryside City Hall
1. Call to Order and Roll Call: Chairman Wayne Straza, Member Pondelicek, Member McDermott
2. Approval of July 20, 2010 meeting minutes.
3. Consider staff recommendation for an amnesty program concerning past due water accounts.
4. Discuss and consider options as presented for water replacement projects during FY12.
5. Informational memo regarding 60 day notice given to La Grange Highlands Sanitary District & Indian Head Park to increase water rates as recommended by Frank Novotny & Associates.
6. Other Business.
MINUTES OF THE WATER COMMITTEE MEETING
CITY OF COUNTRYSIDE – CITY HALL
WEDNESDAY, MARCH 9, 2011 – 6:30 P.M.
CALL TO ORDER AND ROLL CALL
1. Meeting was called to order at 6:30 P.M. Those present: Chair Straza, Committee members McDermott, Pondelicek. Also present: Aldermen Michalczyk, Smetana, VonDrasek; DPW Essig, Water Plant Operator Hartigan, City Engineer Fitzgerald.
APPROVAL OF MINUTES
2. The minutes of the July 20, 2010 Water Committee meeting were approved as submitted.
AMNESTY PROGRAM CONSIDERATION
3. The Committee was presented with three options to consider regarding delinquent water payments. The City has alternatives to collect payment which could include liens, require before transfer stamp is issued, or lastly shut off.
To expedite collection, the three options were:
a. Establish an installment payment plan for past due balances. Omit any late fees for the payment as long as the installments were being made.
b. Write off all or a portion of accrued late fees in exchange for payment in full for the balance by a set date.
c. Same as (b) above except part of the original amount due would also be written off plus eliminating late fees.
Finance Director Drazner went into greater detail with each option. It was the Committee’s consensus to go with the third option. It was also decided that letters would be sent to the delinquent payees stating the plan and allow them one month to respond with payment or water shutoffs would be instituted.
PROPOSED WATER MAIN PROJECTS – FY12
4. The Committee was presented with various areas to consider water main replacement since a budget surplus of $300,000 was available. In addition, Finance Director Drazner stated that at least another $300,000 surplus would be realized since water consumption figures were inflated, and usage would not be that great creating a surplus. Four options were presented however it was noted that if the main at La Grange Road and Joliet was under construction by IDOT this year, it may be advantageous to replace that water main. Eng. Fitzgerald was directed to prepare an engineering report on the costs involved. This information should be available for the next Water Committee meeting yet to be scheduled.
WATER RATE INCREASE LETTERS SENT
5. Letters were presented to the Committee addressed to La Grange Highlands Sanitary District (LHSD) & Indian Head Park (IHP) concerning the water increase recommended by our engineer. Per our contract the City is able to pass along increases incurred from suppliers. The increase for LHSD would be from $3.80 per 1,000 gallons to $3.88; and IHP from $3.81 to $3.88 per 1,000 gallons. Both customers have been given notice and rates become effective 5-1-11. For informational purposes only.
7. Meeting adjourned at 7:09 pm
Date: John VonDrasek, Chair