The Public Works Department consists of Superintendent Jesse Serna and eleven full time employees.
Some of the primary responsibilities and tasks performed by the Public Works Department are:
- Maintaining all City owned streets (patching, sweeping, etc.)
- Maintaining and inspecting all City owned facilities (including City owned parks)
- Seasonal tasks such as snow removal, leaf pickup, etc.
- Landscaping, planting, mowing, and tree trimming
- Overseeing the water treatment process
- Flushing hydrants
- Collecting refuse at City owned parks and parkways
- Re-lamping street lights
- Maintaining and repairing City vehicles and other equipment
- Maintaining and repairing sanitary sewers (Ward 2)
- Inspecting sump pumps (Ward 2)
- Maintaining storm water lines throughout the City
- Overseeing many other tasks which benefit the City as a whole
In general terms, the Public Works Department provides an invaluable service to the public which allow for a high quality of life.